It is 85 degrees at 9am, the sun is beating you every time you head outdoors, and summer is here! It’s almost impossible to stay cool, and thus you find yourself reaching for that water bottle throughout the day. While most of us tolerate drinking water, let’s face it: water is bland and after a few glasses, unless you just ran a marathon and are absolutely parched, you are starting to wish that there was a little more pizzazz in that bottle. I’m sharing 5 of my favorite ways to enjoy water and get some extra nutrients:
- Citrus infused: add a slice of orange, lime, and grapefruit to your water and instantly have a citrus flavored water to give your taste buds variety but also to help boost your immunity with some extra vitamin C.
- Cucumber and Mint: add a few slices of cucumber and some fresh mint leaves and not only will you have a refreshing water mix, but the mint will also help with your digestion.
- Berry infused: if you want to add a little sweetness without reaching the sugar, chop some strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries and add them to your water. Be sure to watch for the berry seeds when sipping your water.
- Lettuce infused: one of the water infusions that I grew up drinking, you simply add hot water on some lettuce leaves (romaine or iceberg depending on your preference). This mixture will require some advance preparation as you will need to let the water cool in the refrigerator.
- Pineapple infused: another favorite growing up, this infusion helps you find a use for the pineapple peels prior to tossing them. Add them in a pitcher and fill it with water and let it sit for a while. Be sure to always thoroughly wash the pineapple (as you should with all of the ingredients) prior to cutting it.
While these concoctions cannot fully remedy the heat situation, they will at least help you keep cool during the summer months while also helping you make hydration fun! These options are especially fun for small children as they can be picky.